Xunantunich is one of the oldest and largest archaeological reserves in Belize. It is located west of Belize approximately 80 miles, close to the Guatemalan border. According to archaeologists, this site plays great importance since it was used for ceremonial centers & covers about 300 square meters. Xunantunich in the Mayan language means “scripture of lady” or “stone lady”, reports are that a ghostly woman in white with fiery red eyes have been reported at the site for more than 100 years! Upon arrival to San Jose Succotz, we will stop to cross the Mopan River on a ferry in order to get to the site.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||San Pedro, Ambergris Caye|
|START TIME||7:00 AM.|
|END TIME||3:45 PM.|
|WEAR||Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking boots, Hat, Rain Coat, Bug Spray and Sunscreen.|
7:00 Am.: Departure
- We depart at San Pedro, Ambergris Caye Airstrip.
- Flight takes about 15 mins from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye to Belize Municipal Airport.
Belize City Arrival
- We have a light breakfast for about 20 minutes.
- We depart Belize City by driving to Xunantunich.
- Driving takes approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes depending on the traffic and weather status.
Arrival at Xunantunich
- Access to rest rooms.
- We start our hiking into the site for 10 minutes.
- While at the site we share the history of Xunantunich as we go along step by step.
- The beauty of the site is having access to the main temple of Xunantunich we called “El Castillo” rising 130 ft high.
- The duration of the tour is 1.5 hours.
Depart for Lunch
- We drive 20 minutes to the restaurant.
- For our lunch we provide the Belize Traditional Rice and Beans with Stew Chicken dish.
- Also other dishes for vegetarians can be provided, if requested.
- Our Lunch duration is 45 minutes.
- From there we depart back to Belize City.